Skylights are an excellent addition to many homes. For good reason, many homeowners adore their skylight. Skylights let in natural light while saving you money on electricity and not invading your privacy. These elements are ageless and a focal point in many homes throughout the world. Despite their popularity, many people are unfamiliar with the installation and replacement processes. If you own a home with a skylight or are thinking about adding one, here are a few things you should know about the replacement procedure.
Replace with your roof
It’s recommended to replace your skylight during a roof replacement if possible. This is significant for a number of reasons, including:
- More dependable seal. Without replacing the entire roof, it is exceedingly impossible to make a water-tight seal on your skylight. A proper seal is an integral part of the roof, and separating the two simply increases the possibility of leaks.
- It is less expensive. Skylight replacement costs more if it is done apart from roof replacement.
- Both your roof and your skylight will eventually need to be replaced. Neither of these home features lasts forever. When you repair your roof but not your skylight, you just offset the replacement timeframes for both and provide unreliable overhead protection.
- Leaks occur when old and fresh materials are mixed. Over time, wear and tear are unavoidable. In general, your skylight and roof will wear and tear together. Replacing your roof without replacing your skylight results in an ill-fitting, old skylight, which can cause damage to your new roof and leaks that can cause damage to your property.
- It safeguards your investment. Replacing one of your skylights or your roof without replacing the other exposes you to liability if the other one fails. The replacement for one will very certainly damage the other, lowering the quality of both. Spend a little more to ensure that your money is spent on quality work and that your investment is safe.
Understanding that a roof and a skylight should not be replaced separately can be scary. However, this is the ideal strategy for your home’s general health, safety, and lifespan.
If you want to replace your skylight separately from your roof, you can expect to pay between $800 and $1500. This cost varies depending on various aspects, including the skylight’s location, the state of the skylight and roof, the size of the skylight, and the roofer’s level of risk. It can be infuriating not knowing how much a project would cost, but precision is unattainable without fully understanding your scenario. An expert will be able to provide you with an accurate job quote. Remember to shop around for the greatest rates and service, just like you would with any other investment.
The procedure for replacing a skylight varies depending on how you go about it. The technique usually takes a few hours if done separately from a roof replacement. Your roofing professional will remove the old skylight and replace it with the new one. They will reapply the seal or flashing around the window once it is in place. They may also need to come inside to complete the installation and fix any minor damage to your paint or trim caused by the replacement.
Hire a professional
Though there are YouTube channels and DIY blogs that encourage you to do jobs on your own, we do not recommend undertaking any roofing project unless you are a professional. Roofs, despite appearances, are quite sensitive. One improper step could permanently damage your roof and cause injury. Amateur fixes can cause further damage or leaks, turning a simple repair into a costly project. More importantly, it is possible to slip and fall when on your roof. Roofs or ladders were responsible for one-third of all fatal falls in 2009. Please do not jeopardize your home or your safety. For all of your roofing needs, contact a professional.
Contact the pros at ASAP Skylight Installations for the best skylight repairs. Our knowledge enables us to provide you with the highest quality service in the area, as well as a thorough grasp of skylights. We have family values and focus on providing excellent service to our customers, so when you choose ASAP Skylight Installations, you can be confident that your roofing job will be completed appropriately. Don’t wait any longer; call now.